As a caregiver it’s really easy to lose yourself. You can get so busy taking care of others, that you forget to take care of yourself. Physically, mentally or spiritually, it is important that we find time to do at least some of the things that make us happy. I’ve always been a pretty adventurous person. I truly believe that you only live once, so why not try something knew.
And while I still have my fair share of fun, sometimes I long for the freedom of the days before I started this caregiving journey.
If there is one thing I’ve learned from being surrounded by people with memory issues, it is how important it is to enjoy everyday to the fullest and make memories while you can.
I’ve really gotten into documenting and photographing more of my experiences with my mom lately because I know that one day, she may not remember our fun times together.
I do this not just for her, but for myself as well. We’ve traveled and done more in the last year together than in the last 10 years and I am so grateful for that.
In an effort to not lose myself and to continue to have fun and make memories, I created a Mighty Life List. The inspiration came from Maggie at Mighty Girl. A Mighty Life List is the pretty much the same as a bucket list. It’s a list of things you want to do before you leave this world. Maggie has an entire blog dedicated to completing her list and impressively enough, gets corporate sponsorship to help her along the way. We aren’t quite that fancy over here. However, I have created a list and I wanted to share it with you.
I read somewhere that making your goals public sometimes makes you more likely to accomplish them.
My goal is to accomplish the things on this list and eventually grow the list to 100 items. So here it goes:
Go scuba diving (June 2009/30th Birthday Trip)
Go sky diving (2009/30th Birthday)
3. Visit the Egyptian pyramids
Start a blog (Technically 2012)
5. Sit on a conference panel
Run a half-marathon (2012 and 2014)
7. Eventually progress to a full marathon
8. Be happily married
9. Go camping
Go zip lining (2009/30th Birthday)
Go white water tubing (2009/ 30th Birthday)
12. Stay at a five star resort on an exotic island
13. Pay off all my credit card debt
14. Pay off my mom’s debt
15. Vacation in St. Tropez
16. Fly first class on an overseas vacation
17. Be independently wealthy
18. Bake a cake from scratch
19. Go parasailing
20. Hire a personal staff
21. Go on “holiday” for the summer with my family
22. Inspire someone
23. Eat a meal prepared by
Paula Deen Gordon Ramsey
24. Paint a quality piece of art and hang it in my house
25. Hire an interior designer
26. Attend the Grammy’s, Emmy’s or VMA live show taping
27. Have my work mentioned by a major influencer (in a positive way)
28. Trace my family tree
29. Go on a spa retreat
30. Start a fresh herb garden
31. Learn how to play and win at Blackjack (a la the guy in The Hangover)
32. Ride in a helicopter (but not an EMT one)
33. Take a picture under the Eiffel Tower
34. Take a romantic trip to Italy, stay in a villa and drink the finest wine
35. Visit Dubai
36. Have someone pay me to do what I love
Visit the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Seattle) (2010)
38. Visit Connecticut, Maine or New England
39. Learn how to throw down on a grill
40. Take a photography class
See UT (my alma mater) play for the National Championship (Rose Bowl 2010)
See a Cirque show in Vegas
43. Freelance write for a newspaper/magazine or online publication
44. Donate any clothes in my closet that I haven’t worn in a year
45. Stay at a really nice bed and breakfast in a small country town
46. Travel to every state in the US (only 14 left to go)
47. Build a house with Habitat for Humanity
Visit a nude beach (St. Marteen)
Earn a master’s degree (2005)
50. Help plan a major event like the Super Bowl or Olympics
51. Take an improv comedy class
52. Do something really awesome in memory of my father (not sure what)
Go to a Steelers game (November 2014/Twice!)
54. Milk a cow
55. Swim with dolphins
56. Go backpacking for a week
57. Ride a camel, elephant or some other non-traditional animal
58. Take a cooking class
59. Send out a photo holiday card
60. Spend Christmas on a beach
61. Go snorkeling at The Great Barrier Reef
62. Teach a class or seminar
63. Travel w/ no luggage with the intent (and ability) to buy everything when I arrive
64. Visit and tour a southern plantation
65. Go ghost-hunting (ie The Stanely Hotel which inspired The Shining)
Go on a midnight voodoo tour of New Orleans
67. Work in a really scary haunted house
68. Write and give an acceptance speech for a well-respected and reputable award
69. Visit Greece.
70. Visit a slave fortress on the coast of West Africa.
Attend the first ever College Football National Championship game.